Friday, February 7, 2014

Sugar

Normal white sugar contains corn. Crazy right? So when I use sugar I use raw sugar. This helps me avoid unwanted and unneeded corn. I have found though that you can substitute many things in the place of sugar. Honey works very well in many things. Thai curry with honey is amazing. Baked goods though on the other hand need sugar. This is when the raw sugar comes in. I also put raw sugar on pancakes instead of syrup. I don't even want to try to find corn free syrup. When I want something sweet though I normally turn to apples, bananas, or baby carrots. They all have a fairly high natural sugar content. Sometimes I will also go get a larabar. These have eight or less ingredients and are mainly sweetened with dates. I have heard this before but when you eliminate most sugar you stop craving it. Strange right? But it is so true. Honestly you start to find sugary things fairly nasty. They are almost too artificial tasting. It is strange how fast your life changes. Two years ago I would never have imagined living without normal refined sugar. Now it is normal. Now it is normal to not be able to buy much at the grocery store. Sometimes when I am with my siblings and we are walking through the grocery store I say "can't have that or that or that" then there is a squeal with excitement when we finally pass something I can eat! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment