Friday, February 7, 2014

So what do I eat????

People often wonder what in the world I eat.
I am basically intolerant to 90% of food. I can have small amounts of gluten, basically cross contamination (crumbs or very tiny particles that might happen to get into my food somehow or other). Milk I can't drink straight and I have to limit my intake of it. I can do small amounts though. Finally comes corn. This one I am still figuring out. I am experimenting to see how intolerant to this I really am. After this week though I have come to the conclusion it is more like my gluten intolerance. I can't have much of any of it. Corn is hard to completely eliminate though. Corn is in EVERYTHING. 80% of food has corn in it. But I wasn't always this way. 2 years ago I found out about my gluten intolerance. The last semester of my senior year in high school I started to react with corn and milk. I finally was able to eliminate milk and corn this semester once I finally moved off campus. I have heard that this is very common. You figure out one intolerance and then once you eliminate that you realize that you have more.

Another lovely fact about food allergies and intolerances is that once you eliminate your problem you become more intolerant/allergic to it. You react much more easily. This week I tried to drink Sprite. Hahahaha very funny Becca! I knew this had corn syrup and lots of other corn based products in it, but it didn't have any actual pieces of corn. Yeah not so much apparently the 3 weeks I have really watched my corn was enough.

So what do I eat? I can eat meat, fruits, vegetables, and rice. I can't really handle any grains besides rice.

So common things on my menu include rice chex, lactose free milk, chocolate almond milk, Thai curries, fried rice, roasted vegetables, rice pancakes, and raw fruit.

We you are intolerant to as much as I am you get to read food labels. Lots and lots and lots of food labels. You also live on a mostly whole food diet.

Some things I have found that I really like include:

La Croix this is my replacement of soda, because soda has so much corn in it (corn syrup.) They have a lot of different flavors I currently have the grapefruit one.

Larabars are fun little snacks I can eat. They have a really yummy brownie flavored one. Cherry Pie is also pretty good.

Van's Crackers I decided to just give these a try. They are actually corn free and gluten free. The cheese flavored ones are not dairy free, but have little enough that they didn't bother me. I loved them. They reminded me of what I remember Cheeseitz and Whales tasting like.

No comments:

Post a Comment